Frequently Asked Volunteering Questions
Click the questions below to see the answers to some frequently asked questions about volunteering at our school. If you have a question you’d like answered, send an email to our Volunteer Coordinator.
Can I bring my younger children when I volunteer?
You can bring younger children to events you have signed up to volunteer for, as long as you watch your children and make sure they are safe. When you sign up for classroom volunteer, please do not bring younger children. They can disrupt classroom time. If you are unsure if you can bring your younger children for an event or volunteer assignment, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator. You can also ask teachers directly if you are signed up to volunteer in the classroom.
Why are families asked to volunteer at least 40 hours each school year?
Sojourner relies on parent volunteers for many things. Every event that is put on requires parent volunteers. We also need parents in the classroom and leading pod classes 3 times a year. We understand your life can be busy and you may not be available during the day to volunteer. We ask that you take the opportunity to sign up for evening and/or weekend volunteer shifts if you work during the day. Some great volunteer opportunities for working parents throughout the year are as follows:
- Our Back to School Picnic falls on a Sunday each year.
- Auction: We need parents to help with procurement and event details, which can be done in the evenings. We also ask for a group of parents to help clean up after the auction.
- Celebration: We ask for parent help every year to bring instruments back to school after the event, which typically falls about 7-8pm
- Enrichment Nights: We need help during enrichment nights, which usually start at 5:30pm.
- If you are willing to take time off of work for any events, Field Day requires many parent volunteers to make a successful event. Jog-A-Thon is another event that parents take days off for, as well as days during swim week.
How do I get volunteer training?
Our Volunteer Coordinator will send out training days and times during the first couple months of school. If you cannot make those times, you can contact the Volunteer Coordinator directly.
How do I know what events I can sign up for?
The Volunteer Coordinator will send out emails about upcoming events with links that take you to the Helpcounter sign up page. There, you can see what is available and sign up for shifts you want. You can also sign into Helpcounter directly by clicking here. If you have questions about volunteering, you can contact the volunteer coordinator at any time.